Thursday, June 5, 2008

Week One Recap

Oli Otya? = How are you (in Luganda).

Sorry I haven't been as diligent as I would like when it comes to this blogging thing, but there are only two computers to support about 15 peoples needs, and like I said they operate on dial-up Internet access...
Anyway, I've had to realign my expectations and duties of the organization because it is VERY much a newly developed grass roots non-profit and still needs basic programs streamlined. So, having said that, the whole leadership/entrepreneurship programs are going to be put on hold.
English lessons are still taking a priority with the children, and I’ve taken over the 3rd of 5 groups (based on an English assessment worksheet that we had everyone take last week), 5 being the “best” and 1 obviously being no comprehension at all. That pretty much sums up the teaching portion.

As for other events, last week Kate (counselor from Victoria BC) and I went way out in the bush to visit a primary school. The main purpose of the visit was to witness how th

e Ugandan school system deals with children who have disabilities. I was, more or less, along for the ride as this was Kate’s interest. This was quite an eye opening experience! The school we visited had almost 650 kids (out in the middle of nowhere) and about 20 kids who were disabled (not including the 40 children that can’t make it to school). So the disabilities range from autism and downs, to deafness and blindness, to physical deformities such as missing limbs and polio, and even HIV. We discovered there is definitely a stigma associated disabilities in this country. The teacher was an amazing guy who not only teaches the children (all of them), but also tries his best to educate the families.

Also, on Monday Kate and I took Nampijja, a mother with HIV, and her children into Masaka in order to get the children tested and to get her the ARVs needed to keep the HIV under control. Nampijja is 25 and just recently found out she was HIV positive thanks to Bridget (another Canuck from Vancouver) who took her to the clinic after complaints of feeling ill. So needless to say, was a nerve racking day. The kids (8 and 11) are super cute (see below) and we ended up playing with them for the 4 hours it took to get the results back. Thank goodness the tests came out negative because I’m not sure what I would’ve done otherwise! But, we did a happy dance and treated them to a meal at a semi-western restaurant.

Well aside from a few other minor events, things are going quite fabulously. I’m still getting my fill of carbs and Crystal Gayle! Yes, I just said Crystal Gayle…..apparently she is quite popular among the locals (Sarah, that’s for you). I must mention that Celine Dione (sp?) is a favorite as well! There is also a very angry turkey that roams around the yard and it apparently has taken a severe disliking to me. I think the 2nd day I was here I invaded his space and he clawed me in the back of the legs leaving some nice bruises. Now, when I venture to the “bathroom” it manages to corner me forcing me to pull some juke-ing moves in order to avoid disaster!! Very inconvenient. Oh, and some of you might be getting email from the local men around town…apparently when you tell them you don’t have a phone, email is the next best thing. So, instead of devising a make-shift address, I’ve decided to let you in on the fun! Ha.

Alright, that’s all for now. I’ll try and do a better job of keeping you all up to date.

Love and miss you all!

0 comments: