Thursday, May 1, 2008

Does the Sun Shine in Uganda?


Goodbye Seattle....Hello Uganda.

This is a test of sorts, as I'm new to this site! AND, yes, I think the sun just might shine in Uganda!

Well folks the countdown has begun I suppose. Today marks the first day of May so that gives me 23 more days of preparation before I board the longest plane rides of my life. I will depart from Seattle on a direct to Amsterdam (8 hours) and then a direct from Amsterdam to Entebbe, Uganda (9 hours). The thought of these flights have begun to give me nightmares already, but not for the typical reasons one might assume. No, I'm not worried about claustrophobia or horrible accidents, but rather my body's reaction to being 30K feet above the ground for an asinine amount of time. Yes, I'm worried about my appendages swelling, dammit!

Anyway, enough of that. I know a lot of you have been questioning my choice of travel destination, but let me assure you that I have spent hours upon hours thinking about it, and I'm absolutely sure that Africa is the place for me at this point in my life. I'm breaking away from the preverbial "rat race" of this materialistic society in order to gain a fresh perspective on life. While I did contemplate several other locales for the beginnings my travel itch, Africa feels right.

So, having said that, "voluntourism" has crept into my vocabulary! Not only will I be emmersing myself in another culture and seeing the sights, I will be challenging and educating the locals as well as myself along the way. I have been asked to lend a hand developing a leadership/entrepreneurship program for women, town council, and teenagers. Yes, I've just quit my job to pay to work in Africa. Sounds fairly crazy...stay tuned!

3 comments:

An Dam said...

Go Alyssa! Good luck on your adventures, We'll miss you here from rainy Seattle

Anonymous said...

We'll be keeping our eye on you via your website. Take care of yourself over there. We can't wait to hear all about it when you get back...By then, our little one will be here and ready to meet you. I'll send you a comment when baby's birthday comes!! Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, have not talked to you in many years, but received an email about your pending trip via the Stoothoff trickle down effect.

Congrats on your decision, thats pretty awesome. Wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.

Be well

Kimberly Miller